AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

WONDERING
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 8/10/2010 09:57 (#1308895 - in reply to #1308786)
Subject: Re: WONDERING

We (ECIL) had a little less June water damage than a few areas around us, but there are still spots of short/stunted corn. Even stunted it was pretty green a couple of weeks ago when I sprayed fungicides and they have ears. I don't think any of it has a great root system. However, the lack of rain through much of July and up to today (it's raining) probably didn't help finish off the corn - shallow roots need water more often. Did the corn put roots down deeper into new soil/nutrient/water horizons? Possibly, but we seem a long way a way from the really promising start we had after emergence. Where I thought I had a NCGA potential plot (250+) now I'm thinking I'll be happy just to get to 200bpa - though the extra N, fungicides, stoller snake oil (I believe that's what it's called) and healthy amount of manure means I have more cost per bushel.

Thanks,

Pat

PS: I could be completely wrong - last year when I felt low test weight, wet/sloppy harvest conditions causing more harvest loss and frost ending the maturation cycle early would have made for 140 bpa yeilds and instead I had my best average yield ever (180) and particularily challenging fields yielded as good or somewhat better than they every had.

PPS: Last nights and todays rains are about perfect timing for the relatively late planted beans. Most of my beans look pretty good, but they were planted in less than ideal conditions. I've have a pretty slim stand in my no-til and it needs pretty good rains to help it bush out and set more pods - it can still work, but it needs better than average conditions from now until harvest.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)