AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grazing standing corn as a finish tool update
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 5/20/2010 20:51 (#1207558 - in reply to #1207459)
Subject: RE: Grazing standing corn as a finish tool update - stacked corn

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Dave,

I got into this grazing corn by accident as part of our strip till tests. It just sort of snowballed. I am new to cattle so this is a real learning experience. I am NOT new to beef (eating it) however and love good beef. This system may just be a way a small operation can produce some very good finished beef on a small scale.

I have been using triple stack Kaltenberg variety which was highly recommended to me for this type system by one of the Kaltenberg corn breeders. I have planted the same strips to continuous RR triple stack corn now for about 5 years. 3 years with the same variety, again on this breeder's recommendation. I see no problems so far, other than Kaltenberg going out of business!

The triple I am using has shown no disease or insect problems that I am aware of. It yields well, stands well, holds the ear off of the ground well, yet has a smaller diameter stalk. Not one of those tree-like varieties. Also very little visible mold even in a very tough year.

Frankly in this continuous corn environment I would be afraid of planting a non stack. I see absolutely no resistance to eating it on the part of my cattle - they think it is candy!

I'm glad to hear you are going to try something like this. Just go slow. There is a learning curve. Good luck.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 5/20/2010 20:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)