AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sows not rebreeding timely
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Tomcat
Posted 5/14/2010 18:16 (#1199734)
Subject: Sows not rebreeding timely

Ludington/Manistee MI area
A year ago we made the switch from being exculisivley a small scale finishing operation to a farrowing operation that finishes some of what we farrow. When we made the switch we saved a few of our better gilts and got a few more along with a boar. Atleast two of our gilts were freshly bred when we got them. Count back from when my gilts farrowed the bore had one breed within the first 3 days and the other within the first three weeks all was going well. One gilt took 4 months to catch the first time and had 15 piglets. When it came to rebreed the girls after the first litter counting back two gilts took 2+ months to catch I have another that has been with the boar since the first of December and is not making bag the other two with him would not be far enough along to show yet. I have bought a pregnancy tester but have not had the time to try it out yet. The boar has been with 2-3 ladies at a time wife seems to think the girls need one on one time with the boar. This fall I hope to get them all breed within a short time frame so we can get a large number of feeders for 4-H feeders. What do I do to get more timely pregnancies?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)