AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

the kids 4-H project-attn. sheep ranchers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

kjzt
Posted 5/12/2010 20:32 (#1196658)
Subject: the kids 4-H project-attn. sheep ranchers

kings, IL
hey there everyone. i have a couple of questions about sheep. my 8 year old son decided he wants a couple of lambs to show for 4-H. i have a little knowledge of the sheep industry, my grandpa and uncle had sheep when i was a kid and i worked on a farm in high school that raised sheep, cattle, etc. now, more than 10 years later, i think i am going to be in the sheep business again. i currently grain farm, raise 1800 hogs per year, and have cattle in the feedlot. i have the resources to make this work, i think, with a little help from you guys.

question 1-how much grass per ewe/lamb is needed?-e.g.-in our area a cow/calf pair needs 2 acres.
question 2-how much water per day does a ewe/lamb pair need?-do i need to dig another water line and put in an automatic waterer or can i fill a water tank?
question 3-what is the gestation cycle for a ewe?

i'm sure as this progresses i will have more questions. by the way i know some of you are thinking why i am going to go to all the work of lambing, but i have always thought that a 4-H project should start from the begining, not by buying a couple of wethers two weeks before the fair. i want my kids to do it the hard way! LOL!

TIA for any help. keith
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)