AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Small patches of grass and cow families (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 5/4/2010 02:25 (#1185144 - in reply to #1184664)
Subject: RE: Small patches of grass and cow families (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

John, that is a section of fence line feed bunk under the guardrail and behind the panels/plywood where they usually get their gentling treat grain. This gets them used to coming into the corral. when I need them I just walk in the corral with the familiar white 5 gal pail of sweet feed.

If the vet is coming I get them in before he arrives. Or if I am running them through there is a time in the corral before I can get them thru the scale. I was surprised to find calves getting in the trough and being in a place they were not supposed to be so I put up the cattle panel behind the feed bunk.

I later found that cutting the sight lines through the panel and pipe gates kept them much calmer in the corral ahead of working or loading. I found some free 1/4" plywood that a lumber yard was throwing away and stuck sheets between the concrete bunk and the panel. Eliminates visual distractions and they stay much calmer. I also wired some of this free 1/4"plywood to the inside of several pipe gates for the same reason. Limiting sight lines/distractions is a Temple Grandin idea and works.

I usually work the group by myself so the calmer the better. Other than the small tray for the bull in another field so he remembers and keeps a taste for the sweet feed, and the calves for a time after weaning (trough picture above) the fence line bunks are the only place they get a bit of treat grain.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 5/4/2010 02:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)