AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How long time must a heifer hang?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/30/2010 17:23 (#1180720 - in reply to #1179214)
Subject: RE: How long time must a heifer hang? corn vs grass

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I ask my processors to hang my carcasses for 2 weeks before cutting. But these carcasses are cooled gradually and held in two coolers. The first cooler at a bit higher temp like 40 deg f for a couple days then the remainder just above freezing as described above.

60 degrees sounds dangerous.

I recently had a discussion about hanging time with a new processor I am trying. I asked him if he could go to three weeks.

His first question to me was: are these "grassfed" or "conventional" (I assumed that meant corn finished)?  Mine have been grazing corn but rather than explain that I just said "conventional".

He said they can usually hang "conventional" carcasses longer than grassfed because the conventional have a layer of fat on the outside of the carcass they can then trim away. Grassfed does not have that outer layer and they end up trimming a lot of beef away. He says a "crust" forms on the outside when aged.

Summary: it is easier to age cornfed beef longer than grassfed. He said grassfed is hard to go more than about 7-10 days. Conventional no problem to go 14 days, if heavy fat layer on the outside then can maybe go 3 weeks.

Since my "conventionals" still don't have too much of an outside fat layer we agreed to stay at 2 weeks.

But all of this aging is done under carefully controlled temperature and humidity conditions inside coolers.

FWIW. Jim at Dawn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)