AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"Paddock" Cattle (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

95h
Posted 4/17/2010 22:51 (#1165685 - in reply to #1164346)
Subject: RE: "Paddock" Cattle (pics)

Kittitas Co. Wa. State

Jim it's just different methods of getting to the same goal, raising good healthy animals. (receiving a decent price is nice too for the effort/money invested)

What your program is works good for you. (if you tire of those "scruffy" animals I'll take em off your hands,,)  You probably have it planned out so many cows/calves or head per acre.  Well out west in several areas, cattle numbers are not figured head per acre,, it's figured acres per head.  (some areas it's possible to see cows packing a sack lunch and water bottle..)

High density pasture vs: low density is just a product of the environment wherever the location is.  I watch my neighbor put 17 pairs on 15-17 acres, cut up into 5 smaller pastures. He rotates them between pastures every 2 weeks and winds up cutting the grass as it gets too tall between grazings.  He's got it set up with solid set sprinklers which take a beating with bored cows & calves,, but with irrigation-fertilizing-rotating, he handily supports the 17 pair without a problem. (probably could actually use another 5-6 pair..)

And you are correct with land that is too steep for anything but a cow with 4 wheel drive to get up and down the hills,, but they are some dang healthy cattle. 

Pretty simple equation, owning dirt costs money IF it does not support itself by growing something. whether its grass-trees-etc,, the land has to at least support itself and with the right investments can produce a good income.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)