AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jim
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/11/2010 18:38 (#1158816 - in reply to #1158788)
Subject: Thank you

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Jack,

Thank you. You cover a lot of points. Probably the most important point I hear in your post is that there can be almost as much difference within a breed as there is comparing breeds at least on many criteria such as disposition.  I did have one very ornery older Hereford cow - she went on a trailer ride last year and the whole herd is much calmer now.

I guess I was lucky in some of my female Herefords. They came from three or four different neighbors and a good broker but none from a sale barn. Even within that group I am culling as I learn more.

The Herefords are a versatile breed. I am aware of problems in the past but what breed has not or does not even today have some problems?

What got me riled a bit is the idea that somehow Domino in a pedigree (as in my bull's) wrecked the Hereford breed for the last 25 years... Maybe it did, maybe there were a lot of factors involved as described in your experience...

I think any herd or breed can evolve to get better or go downhill depending on how we manage them.

I don't know if I am going to live long enough for this to get "boring" as in your rancher example above.  And yes, it is very easy to get hurt around cattle. We need to remember that. Hope your injured neighbor gets better soon.

Thank you for the thoughtful post.

Jim at Dawn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)