AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

garmin gps sensor on a 8330
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 2/21/2007 07:41 (#108422 - in reply to #108190)
Subject: RE: garmin gps sensor on a 8330

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have some partial solutions:

1) We have the connector that will allow radar type speed to be obtained from the 8X30 series corner post. We have harnesses that will connect the cornerpost connector to an Amp connector such as used with your 250 and also a Raven Spray controller. This is almost what you need for your 250 and Hiniker controller. This harness could be made with two of the AMP style connectors which could connect to the Hiniker adapter interface which I believe is needed with the Hiniker controller anyway.

2) We have been successful with using GPS style radar devices (Sky-Trak etc.) and feeding them into Deere tractors rather than using a true radar gun. I believe this is what you desire. I don't believe we have done this with an 8X30 tractor, but on the earlier models: 8X00, 8X10 and 8X20, there is a three pole connector outside the cab down in the "muffler" region that usually hooks to another adapter that hooked to the true radar gun. This connector contains switched power, ground and signal which can be used to work with the GPS device.

Hooking the GPS device in at that point has several advantages. First of all it is quite "clean" in that those connections are outside the cab. Secondly, the tractor receives the radar like signal and the dash, % slip etc. behave as if a true radar gun is attached. Thirdly any "pick off" points inside the cab can still be used for other devices such as spray controller, planter monitors etc.

In the 8X20 tractors, we have sometimes "pushed" the radar signal into the tractor system via the two pole metri-pak behind the fuse panel which is normally used for signal out when a radar gun is not available or has failed.

Does this tractor have Deere GPS? If so, it may be possible to use it and not need the third party GPS device at all. I'm not completely clear on this at the moment but if you remove the Phillips screw which holds the display elements on your side panel display and tilt the displays inward you will see a maze of wires. In this maze of wires you may find an unattached wire with a tag on it referring to GPS. I believe that this wire can (may already be) connected in place of the "radar" wire to pipe speed from the Deere GPS system into the dash. I'm thinking that this allows the dash to use either radar speed in from a radar gun or the Deere GPS. If you have neither than you would want to be hooked up to the radar connector and proceed with your original plan. Your owner's manual or dealer may be able to help with this thought.

Edited by tedbear 2/21/2007 08:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)