AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to cut thievery in rural areas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

illfarmr
Posted 1/31/2010 22:40 (#1051831 - in reply to #1050923)
Subject: Cass County, mid 80's

Central Illinois
we were having a rash of farm burglaries in the county. Sheriff Carl was definetly OLD school. He deputized about a dozen of us farmers, gave us badges, and told us to kick ass and take names later. It wouldn't fly today, but in his day and here, he was the Illinois version of Buford T Pusser, and I respected him a great deal. For years, he let the non violent prisoners walk one block to the courthouse for court. They were too afraid of him to try and escape.

My brothers ex broke into his house after the divorce. We caught her, and called sheriff's office. Carl came down the dirt road a hundred miles an hour before whipping into the driveway. He asked my brother, you want her arrested? Brother said he just wanted her out of house and never to come back. Carl walked in, and in seconds, had her on hands and knees begging him to let her put everything back, bawling the whole time. He never touched her, but was quite intimidating.

None of that would fly today, but I firmly believe that his intimidation prevented some of the crime during his terms in office.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)