AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AT+ Bringing to the front
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 1/6/2010 18:32 (#1006803 - in reply to #1006646)
Subject: RE: RE nobody is forcing your participation at either place.

Nobody is trying to eliminate anything or anyone.

Agtalk+ is a completely separate site from this. Nothing is changing here. Nobody is forcing you to participate here or there. I think everyone learned a very valuable lesson about changing a successful format when it happened somewhere else and led to this site being created initially. 

It's a way of expanding the knowledge base available to people.

I'll give you a good example. I still run a 6620 Titan II combine. Lots of other people have in the past and still do. Sometimes we might run into a problem that someone else has already tackled.

Sure we can post here and probably somebody will answer. The trouble lies in that a lot of the little secrets or tricks that people developed first hand are being lost or forgotten along the way as they upgrade to newer machines. When the machine leaves the details become foggy on how certain things were done or repaired. The Agtalk+ site has a wiki section where you can build a collaborative data base. An area like that places a lot of useful tips, suggestions and photos in one place instead of having to come here and search multiple posts.

I'll give a classic example. Plowboy gave a excellent post about a vibration noise under the seat on a Titan II machine. I remembered reading about it years ago so I know to search by his name to find it. Someone that comes to this site in a year from now won't know anything about him or his posts from several years ago so might not be able to find the information.    

I have taken the liberty of including his post as well as one by JDTECH that gave a great description of a slow down option. I have included that post as well as trying to cross link those posts back to the originals here. I hope neither Plowboy or JDTECH will mind but I felt their information was very valuable and deserved to be preserved for future owners of these machines. The cross linking may be useful to someone that reads about it there but wants to come back here and find additional info or comments. It's also a great way to have an additional database of information in case there would be any data lost here.

Here is what I have been working on so far.  Others with input feel free to add to the information.

http://agtalkplus.com/?q=node/1364

I hope that Old Pokey and Jon Hagen will do something similar for the IH combines.

There have been thousands of hours spent since Newagtalk began making this into what you see before you today by many people volunteering time and money so that it can be free and a premier site on the web for sharing information that otherwise would be inaccessible.

We owe Dave Orr, Don Glenn and many others a great debt for their vision and for making this the premiere place on line for discussion groups , farmer sharing and pictures, I'm sure Agtalk + will be the premiere place for farm blogs, wikis, recipes and other expanded capabilities in the future. 

Nobody is forcing you to change or forcing you to participate. Some just wanted a way to further expand and provide more detailed information to help others with their experience and expertise. The outpouring of voluntary information and knowledge has helped me tremendously over the years and I hope what I have offered has helped other as well.  

Edited by Von WC Ohio 1/6/2010 18:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)