AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Seed Command for Two Planters - Same Field
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/18/2007 14:10 (#90477 - in reply to #90185)
Subject: RE: Seed Command for Two Planters - Same Field

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Yes, I think your boundary concept could work. Autoswath or Seed Command will shut off a section when it feels that the section it is passing over is already planted or it is passing outside of the field boundary. We'll purposely make a "false" boundary that is the same on both rigs to make use of that fact.

Let's assume that two Planters of the same width are used to plant. Let's also assume that the planters are 60' wide. Planter A makes one pass around the entire field. He drops his inner marker even though he might have auto steering to leave a mark for Planter B.

Planter A creates a boundary on his first pass around the field but sets the offset inside rather than outside by 1 1/2 times the planter. This means that instead of setting the offset to the outside by 30' he sets it to the inside by 90'. The onscreen boundary inner boundary would be 120' inside the true outer boundary.

Planter B follows the marker from Planter A and creates his boundary. He sets his boundary 30' to the inside. Since the center of Planter B is already 90' inside the true outer boundary, his onscreen boundary would again be 120' inside the true outer boundary.

If my thinking is correct, once both planters have made their passes around the field, their individual boundaries are the same. Again these boundaries are not the true outside boundary but the inner edge of what has been planted after two passes around the field.

At this point, each planter could continue on opposite sides of the field and work towards the middle. Seed Command should shut off the proper sections for each planter at the proper points. This would be done becasue the individual planters are passing outside the boundary.

I think this will work but the operators may not be that pleased with the steps involved. It might just be easier to keep each planter in a separate field.

If one planter started the field with the assumption of doing it all and thus planted the ends and was later joined by the second planter, this scheme would not work for the second planter. The first planter would be OK on his side but the second planter would not have knowledge of what the first planter had done.

Edited by tedbear 1/22/2007 06:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)