AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any thoughts on this one?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/10/2007 07:48 (#85715 - in reply to #85625)
Subject: Kamp -

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Accessing the center section to trip your iPaq ON/Off seems workable. In that situation you are only telling the iPaq that the entire sprayer is ON or OFF not the individual boom sections.

Concerning your observations about the pressure staying the same when sections are OFF, in my opinion that would be correct. The confusion may come about when thinking about pressure and flow. Remember pressure is not an indication of flow but resistance to flow.

Example: Take a garden hose and tap in a pressure gauge. Put a shutoff valve on the end of the hose. Turn on the water with the shutoff closed: you would see pressure on the gauge but no flow out the end. Opposite extreme: Open the shutoff, the pressure drops to almost zero, but you have good flow.

My concern in the revised wiring scheme that the original poster suggested is that the pressure would actually increase when the Ag Leader shut off certain sections without the Deere system's knowledge. The Deere system being primarily flow based would attempt to deliver the proper flow rate/min for more booms than were actually ON at that time. This would mean that the system would try to pass what it felt was the correct flow rate/min out of the system through less booms resulting in overapplication in those booms.

When Direct Command is installed in a Deere sprayer of this type, the goal is to attain Autoswath capability only. In most other sprayers, the goal is to control the spray functions and probably Autoswath as well. In most other sprayers, the original controller is removed or not used. In the Deere situaion the original control system is used for rate control but the Ag Leader system is installed to interupt the boom ON/OFF functions.

The part that may be unclear for those who have not done it, is that in the Ag Leader scheme, the original dash switches are rewired to become inputs to the Ag Leader system. The output from the Ag Leader system goes to where the switches used to go. This means that if the Ag Leader system shuts off a boom section either because the switch has been shutoff or because AutoSwath feels that the area has been sprayed, the Deere system will be aware of the situation and behave properly. By properly I mean all items concerning rate, logging, mapping etc. Again, it is as if the operator shutoff those sections with the original booms switches which should result in proper operation in those areas mentioned.

Edited by tedbear 1/11/2007 11:46
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)