AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

4020 early model powershift
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 4/19/2024 22:38 (#10712999 - in reply to #10712877)
Subject: RE: 4020 early model powershift

Faunsdale, AL
I have a 6030 that would frequently make a clunk when hitting the brakes. Can’t remember now for certain but I think it had effective brakes on both sides. Tractor would also make a loud click when letting out clutch. Both sounds come up through roll bar in cab from trans/rear housing below.

I found a chunk of old black/brass reinforced brake lining in trans strainer after a few years of this, so I did the brakes. First side I took off I found the last guy in it had let the brake disk slip off the splines on the driveshaft between differential and planetary. Then instead of recognizing there was a problem when final drive wouldn’t slip back onto rear housing normally, he pulled it up with bolts. So brake disk had been dished for years but somehow never quite aligned with the splines and slipped onto the driveshaft like it was supposed to be. When I put on brakes it would sometimes slip past the splines a tooth or two making the clunk.

Also found the piece of brake lining I found was left over from the previous failure because he had only done/botched the one side, the other side still had intact original black composite brake linings on it.

Tractor still makes the loud click when letting out the clutch sometimes which I think is the pinion/lower transmission shaft bearings needing shimmed. Might be something else altogether. Tractor runs great.

6030 has synchro range trans but brakes, differential etc are similar to your tractor.

The filters (when there’s two)

front is the usual “transmission” filter found on all JD tractors with closed center hydraulics that the transmission/charge pump pushes oil through for powershift transmission and pto operation, lubrication of synchro and powershift trans etc as well as feeding oil to front high pressure pump.

Rear filter is a “return” filter to catch anything returning from implements and remote cylinders, hydraulic motors etc through the SCVs.

Edited by ccjersey 4/19/2024 22:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)