AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stx Steiger popping hydraulic hoses
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tap
Posted 4/19/2024 20:44 (#10712960 - in reply to #10712869)
Subject: RE: Stx Steiger popping hydraulic hoses

Western Manitoba
Copy from post by SDMan in 2018

Absolutely correct. No need to replace the entire valve, just the affected cartridges for the problem valves.

The problem is that the coupler cartridges will leak internally into a drain circuit in the remote valve circuit. This drain circuit is also connected to the case drain circuit. If the couplers leak too much internally, pressure builds up in the drain circuit, causing the balls on the female couplers to release, causing all the hoses to pop out of the back of the tractor(what I refer to as "spaghetti", since you now may have 8, 10 or more hoses all popping out simultaneously, causing the appearance of a bowl of spaghetti with all the hoses in a big pile).

I've come up up with a very effective way to troubleshoot the cartridges that has worked well for me for 2-3 years now that works for STX tractors as well as Tier IV Steigers. First, find the allen-headed plug on the RH valve block that is right above the motor return port(the motor return port should have a 3/4" female coupler installed but may not have a coupler there in all tractors). Remove the allen-headed plug and install coupler part #84576610, which is the female case drain fitting for a Magnum tractor. You don't have to use this exact fitting, but it works best for me. Now, rig up a gauge setup that measures LOW pressure(50 psi or less-something that can sense 2-3 psi or so) accurately. In my case, I have an electronic pressure tester with a 12-foot cord so that I can watch this pressure in the cab as I actuate each remote valve. Now, one at a time, actuate each remote valve in each direction while watching the pressure gauge. If the gauge shows more than 2-3 psi increase when a remote is actuated, that cartridge is leaking internally. Now take note which direction the lever is in as you do the tests as you are testing the raise/extend coupler when moving the remote in the raise/extend direction; and testing the lower/retract cartridge when moving the remote in the retract/lower position. If 2 or 3 valves are leaking that much individually(which I find rather common), their leakage will combine to cause the remote valve drain circuit to build up too much pressure, causing the "spaghetti" phenomenon I described above. I don't use the regular case drain fitting off to the RH side of the RH valves to test for coupler leakage as I feel that is too far downstream to get an accurate reading of internal coupler leakage. When I get done replacing affected cartridges, I turn on all the remotes on that tractor at the same time to see what the total leakage is in the drain circuit-shouldn't be any more than 5psi or so with every remote running. After your done, remove the case drain port and reinstall the plug.

Also, CNH does offer a secondary case drain kit, CNH part # 84386915, for Tier IVa tractors that could be retrofitted to STX models as well. It separates the case drain circuit from the coupler drain circuit, helping with hose pop-out issues, especially in cold weather operation.

Constant remote operation on high-pressure standby pressure does seem to shorten the life of the female cartridges. I have many Steigers running 1250 corn planters with tractor hydraulics in my area...and they are prone to coupler leakage/failure as well as running JD no-till drill down pressure systems. In the case of the 1250 corn planters, 90% of the time it is the retract/lower cartridges that leak internally, but check all the cartridges in both directions for piece of mind.

Hope this all makes sense...this method has worked well for me as it was a frustrating trying to come up with a good, accurate way to troubleshoot these remote valves when couplers started popping out on their own. Good luck!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)