AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD's latest monitor update negated Raven RCM section control
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 4/18/2024 05:25 (#10710947)
Subject: JD's latest monitor update negated Raven RCM section control

Chebanse, IL.....

In 2023 we bought a new Unverferth Pro Force fertilizer spreader. It came factory equipped with a Ravens dry rate controller. We have 100% JD monitors, but the ISO hookup made it possible to use the Ravens RCM successfully. In 2023, the "section control" worked perfectly. This turns the spreader belt drive on/off when passing into an area that has previously been spread. Spread your headlands first, then when you approach them to turn, the spreader takes care of itself for on/off operation. That was in the fall of 2023.

In early 2024 JD updated the monitors with software update titled "23-3". This update was installed by JD. Following that update, the section control portion of the Ravens no longer is recognized. The section control is accomplished by the Ravens RCM, not the JD monitor. I didn't know it was a software issue at first, but after a few troubleshooting phone calls, the software 23-3 update was explained.

Attached is the PDF issued by Ravens on this problem. Ravens can't fix the problem because they didn't create it. I really hope JD does something about the mistake they created. The section control did work fine prior to the JD update. Now it doesn't work at all. Thanks JD!! 

Finally, let me say I've always been hesitant of ISO compatibility. I've noticed that whether it's JD, or Ravens or whoever, the compatibility issue becomes subjective. When hooking one brand of controller to another brand of monitor, it's usually not a 100% feature availability. Seems there's often 1 little thing here or there that doesn't make the transition. The user has to decide how important it is. So, now any new equipment sold with Ravens RCM is NOT compatible 100% with JD monitors. If you have no use for section control, then all other aspects seem to work OK. At this point, I wish we hadn't had the upgraded software.

See the Ravens supplied document re. this issue in the PDF below.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2024-03-06 RCM Compatibility Issue with John Deere Gen 4 and 5 23 1.pdf (347KB - 89 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)