AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Elderly horse...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Doug61
Posted 4/15/2024 15:25 (#10707733)
Subject: Elderly horse...

Eastern NE KS
Weekend was unusually warm 87-90*F. Last evening my niece's horse was standing in 4-5" of water at the pond as I passed on way to cow pasture. Returned 30 minutes later he was still in the same spot. I stopped the ATV for a closer look.

No sweat but respirations were 90/minute, quick & shallow. I counted them 2x over 1 minute each. The horse is 27 years old so his expiration date is coming but I didn't think imminent. Last spring he failed to shed off as easily as previous springs so this year we dewormed him 8 weeks ago. All the horses were given their annual vaccination 3 weeks ago and given a white paste dewormer at the same time.

He is gaining weight with spring grass but has not shed off. My gelding has shed but other 2 have not. So he had his winter hair on a quite warm day with around 30% RH. He may have been sweating and cooling.

Today, the horse was seemingly fine, grazing and breathing around bites of grass. I couldn't count respirations cause he was so busy eating. Breathing was kind of an after thought.

Any thoughtful advice as to what was going on with him yesterday?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)