AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cutting ceder trees
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 4/14/2024 23:08 (#10707101 - in reply to #10706624)
Subject: RE: Cutting ceder trees

East of Broken Bow
Cut more cedar trees than I can count with a trimmer and a saw blade. For smaller trees I'm sure a battery weed eater would work, if they have more than one model, get the one with more power/higher torque.

Couple things to add:
First, a circular saw arbor is a different size than a trimmer arbor. If you want to use regular saw blades, you will need a proper sized spacer or washer to make up the size difference.
Second, match the blade to what you are cutting. You said most of the trees are under 1/2 inch, so I'd go with a fine tooth blade. From my experience, if the teeth are closer together than the trees are in diameter it doesn't tend to 'grab' as much when the blade catches the tree. For small trees like you are talking about, I'd go with 7-1/4" blades, and either get, make, or have a bushing/spacer made to adapt the blade onto the trimmer. They take less power to run than a larger blade, are super cheap to buy, and are available anywhere. You could probably cut a 2" tree pretty easy with one.
If you don't want to mess with the spacer, there are companies that make tree/brush blades specifically for trimmers, sold under the 'Renegade Blade' branding. They work well for trees, and are rated for higher RPMs than regular circular saw blades, which they say makes them far less likely to throw a tooth. I've had a couple blades lose a tooth, but I use a brush guard, which keeps a thrown tooth from coming at me. For small trees like you say you have, I'd start with the smaller blade with close spaced teeth, but here is a link to a whole selection of them to choose from:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=reegade+blade&crid=2SFQQYO0VZAW4&sprefix=...

One thing about cedar trees, if you cut it below the lowest needle, they will never grow back.

Another thing to consider, if they are all over the place, and small, would be a controlled burn. Takes a bit of preparation and a crew to do it right and safely, but you can kill 90%+ of the small trees in 500 acres in a half a day with a good burn.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)