AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How is base saturation factored in on a soil test?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NE Soil Builder
Posted 4/5/2024 14:39 (#10695112 - in reply to #10693001)
Subject: RE: How is base saturation factored in on a soil test?

nebraska

ehoff - 4/4/2024 05:15 What are your recommended levels? The higher the better ussually but like you say it is cost prohibitive to add enough commercial k. The higher the cec the more pounds per acre it takes but…. 5-7 base saturation k isnt needed to raise the yields that most of us can attain. If you are 2.5 or above its most probably not your limiting factor. What is more important imo is tissue test level k as it relates to your yield goal. Does high bs k usually relate to higher tissue test k? Yes it does but what is more important and economical to do is to get your plants to efficiently build sugar and pump that sugar out of the roots at night to feed the microbes that will make more of all of the essential minerals available to the plant. Getting this process working correctly will raise all of your tissue levels.

The higher is NOT essentially better, if the rest of the dirt is working. have you taken any sap tests in your dirt testing programs? Producers need to learn what the tests are telling them, but also getting the right tests are crucial!
Tissue is a faulty test. Just because it's in the tissue, doesn't mean it's even getting to the ear, or berry, or bean! Try drinking a soda without opening it.  Get a SAP test. That is the blood test we get when we go to the dr. If you get false information,  you will get a false reading, that you think is all good, so to speak. Email me if you want to watch a video about one of the best foliar scientists out here. I can guarantee there isn't anyone more versed in this agronomy world than this guy, in my opinion, from Balchem/Metaloste. 

Edited by NE Soil Builder 4/7/2024 20:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)