AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Conventional soybeans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Blusteryknollfarm
Posted 4/3/2024 09:22 (#10691874 - in reply to #10691681)
Subject: RE: Conventional soybeans

North Central Illinois
GrainTrader - 4/3/2024 07:18

zach0485 - 4/3/2024 05:07

Is there any yield data or info for non gmo beans out there? Particularly in Ohio.

What kind of beans? High protein specialty beans? Or newly bred and/or old standard non gmo beans?

I’ve heard more stories then I’d like about guys getting talked into a $3.00+ premium for a specialty type non gmo bean and they make 55 while their run of the mill $1.50 premium non gmos make 70+.

When I worked for a name brand soybean company we had growers raising amazing non gmo bean yields compared their their counterparts growing new traited technology.

I wouldn’t be afraid of the “commodity type” non gmo beans if you can keep the weeds under control and have a good premium/buyer that won’t jack ya around. Around me Plentish seems to be a good deal also. Again, if you can control the weeds in them. This waterhemp has changed the game on weed control and you have to be on top of your game along with some cooperation from Mother Nature to reactivate pre emergents and residuals. I think we had some neighbors normally control weeds well that just hit things at the wrong time and no rain to keep em activated this last season.

I don't know about Ohio, but the University of IL trial plots usually have some non-gmo entries.

I agree that there's varying degrees of yield drag with the high protein specialty beans. Some varieties are a disappointment and others not so bad. I've planted a high protein clear hilum variety that has been 5-10% lower yield than the "regular" non-GMO varieties. Premium difference has been high enough to justify the specialty variety on the organic side, but there's only 3 varieties I'll consider growing for that market.

Link to U of I trial results. Usually there's at least one non-gmo (CV) variety in the top 5 for yield.
https://vt.cropsci.illinois.edu/soybeans/

Edited by Blusteryknollfarm 4/3/2024 09:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)