AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Everleaf Oats
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 3/28/2024 05:45 (#10683577 - in reply to #10683517)
Subject: RE: Everleaf Oats

SE Manitoba
MountainValleyFarmer - 3/27/2024 23:23

Anybody on here with experience with these forage oats? Seed dealer is advising 65 lbs to the acre but all the literature I can find on Everleaf calls for 80 to 100 lbs. Dealer doesn’t know the seeds per lb. How many seeds per acre should I be looking to plant? This’ll be on highly fertile, irrigated ground. I hear Everleaf is quite a different beast so hoping to hear from guys that have grown that variety.

guessing here- - - dealer may be thinking that you're underseeding the oats - - - then the 65# might make sense.

Now you could hit it with a lower fertility program but if you have the means to chop this in a timely fashion I would hit it hard - - - bump up the N to like your best wheat crop.
Cut at flag leaf stage!!!
If you seeded early then you could hit it with some fertigation (more N) and you'll get another cut - - - likely not as much as the first but given a decent year still should be OK.
This will now be high energy high protein and possibly very high sugar. (Energy might not be quite as high as straight oats grain but it can be quite good.)

IMO this is the way to handle oats if you're in good oats country (cooler growing season where you can produce oats not this where you get lots of 85F+ - - - oats doesn't do well in those conditions!).
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)