AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ag leader insight to trimble 252
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/28/2024 09:04 (#10683880 - in reply to #10683528)
Subject: RE: Ag Leader Insight to Trimble 252

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
My first auto steer system consisted of an Ag Leader Insight and a Trimble 332. The 332 is the style that has a yellow box in the cab and a dumb antenna on the cab roof. As I recall the 252 is really the same components but the circuitry is inside the larger enclosure on the cab roof and there is not yellow box in the cab.

As the reply above mentions, the GPS information is transferred by a 9 pin computer type connector. The Ag Leader display cable typically has a 9 pin connector. The cable out of the Trimble also has a 9 pin connector on it. They are the same style but will not mate because they are both the same sex. This was done on purpose.

You need a device to go in between the two cables. It is called a null-modem gender changer. The term null is historical in nature and comes from the old tele-type days where at times it was useful to connect two tele-type machines together directly without having a phone modem in between. The Rx and Tx wires need to be crisscrossed to work together directly. Ag Leader has these Null Modem gender changers available. Electronic stores might have a cable that would allow the two to mate but I would avoid them as there are some power/ground wires that could be a problem.

Ag Leader does provide power on the their side of the 9 pin connector which is used with an Ag Leader GPS. Other brands such as the Trimble may have a separate power and ground wire which would need to be used to provide power and ground to supply the GPS circuitry.

When the GPS and Ag Leader are powered up, the Insight will go through what I consider a "Mating Ritual" to try to hook up with the GPS information coming out of the Trimble GPS. You may see messages on the screen of the various combinations that it is trying in an effort to hook up with the GPS. If it connects, the situation should work. Other settings may work better though and sometimes manual intervention is desirable.

Edited by tedbear 3/28/2024 09:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)