AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What Tractor Aux Power Plug
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/27/2024 06:22 (#10682095 - in reply to #10681818)
Subject: Approaches to alternative Power Strips and Plugs.

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I've only seen them on Deere equipment but apparently others are starting to use them. We have 4 Deere tractors and a combine that has that style of power strip.

I'm not overly fond of them especially considering the price if you need pigtails. I use an alternative "standard" that I've copied from somewhere. That is to use 2 pole Weather Pack connectors to connect monitors, controller etc. to my tractors and combines. The vehicle or source uses a 2 pole Weather Pack Tower with Pin A being power and Pin B being ground. The monitor or controller then uses a 2 pole Weather Pack Shroud again with Pin A being power and Pin B being ground.

I do this with most of our vehicles. This means I can move items around very easily. If I get a new device, I just put a 2 pole Weather Pack on it. T

In the Deere tractors or combine, it was easy to temporarily remove the power strip. There are 3 convenient studs on the back of the power strip. One is constant 12V, one is switched 12V and the other is ground. I make short pigtails to attach to those studs. I use Red wires for the connections to the constant 12V, Orange wires for the connections to the switched 12V and Black wires for ground. I crimp a ring terminal of the appropriate size to match up with the studs on each wire. I reattach the Deere Power Strip with the stubs sticking out the side from under the power Strip. I then have a few 2 pole connectors sticking out the side of the power strip.

This means I am able to attach or remove any of my add on devices in any of my vehicles very easily. I have a good secure connection and don't have to pay for the expensive Deere stub which needs often would need to be spliced on to the new device anyway. If the new device already has the power strip style of plug, I can just plug it in.

When I worked as a Tech, I made a power source arrangement for a few customers that did not have the Deere Power Strip. It consisted of a single 3 pin AMP power plug as is available in many newer tractors. I attached a few Orange wires to a large socket it and inserted it into pin location #1. I attached a few Red wires to another large pin and inserted it into pin location #2. I attached several Black wires to pin location #3 (the one that goes crosswise). I put Weather Pack towers on the various pairs following the scheme above. This allowed the customer to use this adapter for easily attaching his devices.

Edited by tedbear 3/27/2024 06:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)