AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cognative bias vs intelligence
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Pat H
Posted 3/26/2024 13:10 (#10681270 - in reply to #10679632)
Subject: RE: Conservative ideas

I started raising pigs 21 years ago and haven't got out much in a long time. My family went from being relatively conservative Christian to not so much. The fear generated during covid is mostly to blame. Personally I studied the risks and didn't see much to fear and politicians didn't seem to be acting like something was wrong either (my canary's). My family stuck their news shows and podcasts. Dang.

My thought is that a lot of bias is pushed on society to gain a specific result. Often the folks in fear (or whatever) will fight hard for the position and even hurt relationships in spite of only knowing what some media or podcast person says. Goebbels would be proud.

I spent a not so great weekend with some very liberal people (including my own family). I was told I was repeating fox news. I don't watch it and rarely listen to it. I tend to want to hear what leadership in various area has to say themselves. On the other hand, they proudly stated they trust "the guardian" (pretty far left publication). I tried to speak from experience or history but that went no where.

We could never just talk about real things. This was during covid and I said I was happy that, along with typical immune system/cold season remedies, vitamin D showed promise. I was shouted down since I was advocating for vitamin D poisoning. No one there had any significant medical knowledge and I had my doctor's comments and some current research to support me. What I thought would be a good thing, cheap vitamin that could be helpful, apparently was not.

You can insert any issue into this situation with the same results - Ukraine, obesity, exercise, moon landing, covid, economics, etc. Generally conversations go better for me if we talk about real facts and solution processes (like engineers do). Then bias becomes just a preference rather than a hill to die on.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)