AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

First time building with native timber
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

hankster1966
Posted 3/17/2024 17:45 (#10668923)
Subject: First time building with native timber

Manola,Ab, Ca
I have been planning to build a planter with a trellis for my tomato plants. I don’t really draw up plans, just design/build as I go. I was trying to decide what to use for materials as my inventory of materials is pretty much depleted. I noticed that there was a lot of usable wood being stacked for burning in the bush where I’m hauling logs, so I asked the loader operator if he could dig me out 12-15 suitable tops while waiting on trucks. He then loaded them on my trailer under a load of aspen. The loader guy where we off load stashed them off to the side and then put them back on after my last load of the day. I had to hand bomb them off at home.
This weekend the weather was nice so I took the opportunity to build the project. It’s not perfect but should serve the purpose for a few years. I probably should have peeled the bark off but I don’t have a draw knife and didn’t want to buy one just yet. I believe I will line the sides of the box with plastic and the back, top and sides will get covered in plastic. I will have a piece of plastic to cover the front but it will be removable and remain open most of the time I think. I have tried growing tomatoes in a small high tunnel and have not had great success with getting tomatoes to ripen and have issues with too much humidity and inconsistent temperatures.
This planter is going to be located on the south side of my shop wall.

(IMG_1974 (full).jpeg)

(IMG_1983 (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1974 (full).jpeg (123KB - 61 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1983 (full).jpeg (131KB - 56 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)