AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My 1800lb butcher calf..........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

thekcirp
Posted 3/7/2024 19:21 (#10656197)
Subject: My 1800lb butcher calf..........

NEMO

Calf was born mid march of '22, sometime in June or July(breeding season) he must have been stepped on, as he had lost the right half hoof on his right front leg.
Couldnt hardly walk for 6-8 weeks, then gradually started getting around better. About the middle of Sept of '22 we sorted the calves and sold them right off the
cow, they had been cut, vaccinated, and poured, prior to sale. I kept this calf back, as he couldnt get around real good and his hoof was just slowly getting better. By
Jan of 2023 he was doing pretty well, but still not walking normal, so I pulled him from the cow and put him and a couple other late born steers in the bull lot. 
They got 6-7lbs of a three way mix and damn mediocre hay until bull turn out in June of '23, we just threw them out with the cows because I didnt have locker
appointments until May of '24. Sept of '23 we pulled calves from cows and sold them same protocol, this time my neighbor boy bought the steers and heifers
from me right off the farm. These guys start and background a pretty good amount of calves, mostly heifers, but the one boy has been dabbling in steers a little the 
last few years. They also feed quite a few in a couple of cheap built buildings, somewhat similar to garvo's, only smaller. I've been taking my personal locker beef
over to him to custom feed for the last 5-6 years, works good for me. So around the middle of Sept I take this calf and the two smaller ones over for him to finish.
They are weighed, vacc again, tagged and marked with date arrived. He weighed 760lbs off the truck, live weight night of March 4th @ 1800lbs(prolly full). Was at 
locker today for lunch and he hung 1180lbs. He was out of a fairly ugly smaller framed cow and a $3,000 angus bull. So goes the $14,000 bulls down the page a bit.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)