AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Action required by July 31st to keep Quickbooks Desktop with statement-import and payroll
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 3/1/2024 11:39 (#10646818)
Subject: Action required by July 31st to keep Quickbooks Desktop with statement-import and payroll

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/help-article/new-subscriptions/us-quickbooks-desktop-sold-july-2024/L5lkQNq7L_US_en_US

In case you're one of the few who is determined to support Intuit by paying out the nose for a Quickbooks desktop subscription, you need to have subscribed to Quickbooks Desktop Pro Plus subscription and Payroll (if you want to use payroll) by July 31st of this year (2024).

If you don't have a subscription to whatever you're wanting in that regard by that time, you won't be able to after that date.

The advantages of keeping Quickbooks Desktop Pro Plus are that:

• You can automatically import financial statements which limits your manual entry duties
  • You can have the payroll add-on (if you have subscribed to payroll before July 31st)
  • You can avoid a big upheaval as you and your accountant work to find something differently that works for you 
  • You can stay with what you're used to while avoiding QB Online which it seems the majority of Desktop users don't like
Your alternatives:

• If the version of Quickbooks Desktop that you currently have doesn't have the word "Plus" in the name, you're not on a subscription and hopefully you can keep using that software as long as you're willing to keep a computer that will work with it
  •  
    • If you have QB Pro 2021 you still might have the ability to import statements and use payroll but that will quit working at the end of May (I think I have that date right)
  •  
    • All other non-Plus versions of QB Pro 2021 have already had those features expire I believe. I expect my 2021 version to have those features expire in May so we'll go to manual payroll and manual entry of records until we finally switch to something else
  •  
    • Keeping an old version of QB Desktop running might eventually require you to either have an old computer with an old operating system devoted to QB or installing something like VirtualBox on your newer computer so that you can create a virtual computer with an older version of Windows to run QB on. Some people who are still running really old versions of QB are already having to do that
  •  
    • If you do have "Plus" in the name of your Quickbooks already and you want out of it, I have heard of 3rd party companies that will revert your company file to an older version of QB. So if you have or are able to obtain a license for an older version of Quickbooks, you might still be able to downgrade out of the Plus subscription model but I haven't personally done this so I don't know how well it works
  • If you are willing to go to the cloud based financial software, Intuit is and has been pushing QuickBooks Online quite hard. It's likely going to be a similar price to the annual Desktop subscription depending on how many reports you want to run and how many employees you want to be able to pay through it and so on.
  • If you want to use this as a way to get out of the Intuit world (like I'll do when I finally give up on my old QB Desktop Pro 2021), there are a lot of options to look into:
    • PC Mars
      • I would heavily consider this whenever I eventually switch away from my non-subscription based QB 2021
      • Fairly affordable, developed by Iowa Farm Management I believe? I haven't used it but lots of people on newagtalk swear by it
    • Redwing Centerpoint
      • Probably similar price to Quickbooks these days but not sure
      • Very robust for ag operations from what I hear but I have not used it
      • If I ever quick my old 2021 Quickbooks there is a good chance I'll go that way
    • Traction
      • I heard they were getting competitive with Redwing Centerpoint on financial analysis
      • I heard they are headed towards being able to do precision ag type analysis as well (SMS like tasks)?
      • I heard they were pretty expensive
      • again, haven't used it myself
    • GnuCash
      • Another one that I haven't used myself but I have a soft spot for it because it's open source and is as old as the hills but still in active development
      • One of the most likely places to always be able to get full access to your data
      • Works with Microsoft, Apple and Linux
      • OpenSource means doesn't cost you a dime unless you want to pay developers because you're so satisfied
      • From what I read I doubt it's as user friendly as Quickbooks
      • From what I've read, it likely will require you to export to Excel or maybe learn SQL to be able to go very in depth on reports. Could be wrong though
      • I think I would heavily consider it even though I think I'd  have to do a fair amount of work to get the reports that I want
    • Xero
      • It's web based like QB Online
      • I've heard it's more affordable than QB Online
      • I've heard the tech support if you need it is a lot more bearable than Intuit tech support
      • It really seems like it is one of the main ones that people are switching to when they get away from Quickbooks (as long as they're not in agriculture)
    • ZarMoney
      • Web based like QB Online
      • Supposedly more QB Desktop like than Quickbooks online is
      • Have heard good things but haven't studied it much more than that
    • Medlin
      • This is one that I would heavily consider if I eventually switch away from my old 2021 license of QB Desktop
      • They are a smaller family owned operation
      • Very affordable
      • Still offer Desktop software which I have a strong preference for
    • Manager.io
      • I would heavily consider this if I switched away from QB 2021 as well
      • Have both desktop and online versions
      • Desktop version is free forever and works on Windows, Apple and Linux
      • Would have to study it more to understand payroll and importing options for it
    • FarmFact
      • Haven't studied this one a lot
      • Looks affordable
      • I like that there are several demonstration videos on the site. Could probably learn a lot about what it can do in 30 min by watching videos
There are probably more. Another thing to consider if you have employees is splitting your payroll services off from your accounting software. There are a lot of 3rd party services that will handle payroll without being associated with the rest of your book keeping.

Edited by dpilot83 3/2/2024 12:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)