AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Autosteer Valves - switching between Guidance display
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/1/2024 09:06 (#10646607 - in reply to #10646541)
Subject: RE: Autosteer Valves - switching between Guidance display

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Yes, at least in some cases. This was done with two of my tractors where I made changes in the display and controller but was able to continue to use the steering valve from a previous system.

My first auto steer was on a Deere 8120 with ILS. The tractor could have been ordered with or without the Deere Auto Steer valve. It was ordered without the Deere valve. At that point in time, the Ag Leader Insight was their top display. I purchased the Insight with the auto steer unlock along with a Trimble 332 GPS, a Nav II with Auto Sense and an external steering valve. The steering valve is physically larger than others I've seen. I believe that may have been necessary due to the ILS front end which uses larger steering cylinders compared to a standard FWD.

My second auto steer system was on a bit older Deere 8310 with FWD. ILS was not an option on that model. I installed a Trimble CFX-750 with a Nav II and external steering valve on that tractor. The steering valve was a different model than the one for the 8120 with ILS. It was physically smaller but had the same type of hydraulic plumbing. This worked fine although I didn't care for the Trimble interface having been spoiled by the Ag Leader approach.

Both these valves worked well with those tractors.

Some years back, Ag Leader came out with a trade-up program that fit my situations almost exactly. It involved trading in a display, steering controller etc. towards an Ag Leader InCommand 1200, Ag Leader GPS, and Ag Leader's Steer Command controller. This was prior to the introduction of SteerCommand Z2

I participated in this program for both tractors. Both those tractors now use an InCommand 1200, GPS 6500 and legacy SteerCommand controller. The installer was able to reuse the steering valves from the previous install. The only change was a change in connectors. There was no change to the steering valves or the plumbing to them.

I expect that you have a reasonably good chance that you can reuse your current steering valves with a new system or display. There may be combinations of controllers and steering valves that do not work well together so my results may not apply to your situation.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)