AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raven harness repair
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 2/29/2024 10:02 (#10645169 - in reply to #10645006)
Subject: RE: Raven harness repair

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
When I was a Tech, I got involved with cable creation and repair. Sometimes we needed to create a cable from scratch because the proper cable was not available, too short, too long or not quite what was needed.

Other times we were asked to repair a genuine Raven cable. Sometimes that was fairly easy, Sometimes not a good idea.

Both require the proper connectors, cables, pin, sockets and tools. They also require knowing which wire should go where. Sometimes that is very obvious. Other times not.

Many times it was just "better" for all concerned to start over with a new cable from Raven. This is especially true if the cable shows any sign of deterioration from exposure to chemicals, wear, age etc.

As was stated above, Raven often uses a potting material to seal a connector after it is assembled. Removing the potting to try and reuse the pins or sockets can be difficult to impossible.

I wish you luck on your "business" of getting into cable repair. There is more involved than one might expect. Good quality crimpers and proper connectors, pins, sockets seals, etc. can count up fast. The correct wiring diagrams are not always readily available.

I used to look at the price of cables and think how overpriced some were. I thought "I could make one for less than that" until I got into it.

Edited by tedbear 2/29/2024 10:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)