AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cow/calf barn suggestions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Hagie pilot
Posted 2/29/2024 07:35 (#10644909 - in reply to #10636785)
Subject: RE: Cow/calf barn suggestions

Ontario
I'm putting up a building right now, with the plan to run the cow calf in the dead of winter calving then backgrounders the rest of the year. I Recognize it doesn't make sense everywhere but in my corner of the province i can support more cows on less acres if i don't graze as much and rely on higher producing forages as well as harvesting cover crops after wheat (usually trade manure for some acres to seed down in oats or oats and peas). With how wet we get in some falls most are a hesitant to let me put up some wire and graze cattle over their stover.

That being said I'm doing a 50x100 stick barn, i was renting a 50x100 coverall with a concrete pad but trying a different route this time. Doing 24' bed pack, 12' scrape, and roughly 12' side feed alley, with the thought that moving to feeding a tmr ration in the future will stretch my feed even further. Thought about feeding outside but thought this way i have a totally closed in building with a couple big ass doors to store the local city folks toys like others have said when things go tits up again lol. If you do go with a coverall/tarp building keep in mind you're gonna have to replace the tarp in 10-15 years if it doesn't blow off first.

A lot of super smart guys on this site that you can (as i have) learned a lot from, just keep in mind different things work in different areas and don't take criticism to heart folks are just trying to help and have a little fun.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)