AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Growth Regulator in Cherrios
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 2/20/2024 13:17 (#10632149 - in reply to #10631951)
Subject: RE: Growth Regulator in Cherrios

southern MN
Green Acres Guy - 2/20/2024 09:45

I agree. If he would have made the case that “the regulatory agency’s approved” it that’s one thing. Saying “profitability . Bottom line” is a different defense of actions.

Personally, I don’t like consuming more chemicals than necessary. That’s a very common sentiment among people and not an outlandish statement.

From what I have seen farmers profitability would be better if we grow what people want. Why are we so set on spraying chemicals that may be harmful and defending big ag’s bottom line. We are cheerleading for the wrong team. Farmers and consumers need to work together. Seems we grow field corn conventionally just grow to something because “it’s what we grow and how we grow it” and because at some point the government decided/subsidized corn so much.

How are the commodity crop markets looking for profitability ??

So…..

This product is approved for use in Canada, Europe, and other areas of the globe.

It is approved for import by USA.

By all metrics, it is indeed approved?

Is oats that has fallen over and now scraped off the ground and harvested with more dirt dust and mold and fungus from the ground contact actually safer for us, or is the amount of pesticide residue safer for us?

There is a trade off. There is always, always a trade off. Hysterical headlines from one source never bother to look at those trade offs. They just alarm.

Are we consumers ‘really’ looking at the issue? Are we looking for a better product, or are we looking to feed off of hysteria and headlines? Do we consumers want to put in the effort to understand?

How much of the chemical residue was found? The article says nothing at all about that. The machines we have today can find billionths of a bit of stuff any more. Is this a significant amount to bother? We don’t know. The article was not informative. It was alarmist.

You say you don’t like to consume many chemicals.

You know all things are made of chemicals? Oats has many different parts to it, all assembled out of many different chemical compounds. Salt is made of different chemicals. Water is made of different chemicals assembled together. ‘Oh you know what I mean!’ Well, no I don’t know what you mean. You are telling us we farmers are stupid because we don’t know enough, and to prove it you tell us you don’t like chemicals. But, everything is made of chemicals. Who is the dummy in this conversation then? If you want to elevate the info, be specific then.

I like to produce products that become food for the masses. I want to be compensated fairly and sustainably for it. I do not want to start growing food for uppity snobs that don’t care about facts or others. Which is what high end markets seem to be. I want to grow something good for all.

To each their own on that.

I do struggle to ever side with EWG. Or alarmist opinion fake news. Or shallow people.

I would like to know more about this pesticide that is being used on small grains, what its effects are on humans and at what dosages. You know, real info, real news. I would like to know if there are better alternatives with less residue.

Currently it appears the pesticide is approved for use in most of the world. Anything approved for use in Europe must actually be pretty benign. Since USA allows its use on imports, my suspicion is the residues are so tiny and so small a risk that there really is nothing to be alarmed about. The product isn’t approved for use in the USA because the demand for it is so small it doesn’t pay for regulators to go through the paperwork.

I would not mind being more educated about it tho! If - if anyone actually cared about facts and education and care about informing others.

Hysteria, well if you are into that sort of thing this thread shows how that works real well. We have to fear, we have to fear all chemicals, we don’t need to be educated at all, and we should put our future in the hands of a group that wishes to abolish farming in this country.

And even tho this chemical is approved for use and for import by all the health agencies involved, those following those rules are only concerned about their bottom line and evil rule breakers.

See it’s all so simple.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)