AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Low to very low boron
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Soil Guy
Posted 2/17/2024 09:14 (#10627113 - in reply to #10625523)
Subject: RE: Low to very low boron

I have a grower with boron levels of .4-.5 on most of his acres which is quite low when the minimum level we shoot for is .8 on our soil test. At .4 ppm, to get to .8 ppm it will take roughly 4 lbs of actual boron to get there. I understand you likely wont build your boron as it’s a leachable nutrient but just figure at lower soil test levels it will likely take more pounds of boron to get a response. We use 14.3% borate to help address this along with some solubor in season. Using a one time application of boron is often times not the answer in my experience. Feeding boron throughout the year is the key. If you have good to great levels of calcium in the soil, I wouldn’t be as concerned with hurting the crop with a boron app. In terms of rates for the 14.3% borate, I’ll typically apply 15-20 lbs of actual product at one time.

Edit: I’m going to stress this based on some of the comments above- Make sure you have good calcium before looking at applying strong rates of boron particularly preplant! And make sure you use a lab that understands what level of boron you need in the soil. If you don’t do those 2 things you could very well have problems.

Edited by Soil Guy 2/17/2024 09:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)