AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dicamba ban - the public view
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WCMO SFForum
Posted 2/14/2024 14:24 (#10623306 - in reply to #10622698)
Subject: RE: Dicamba ban - the public view

West Central Missouri
Had a neighbor call me several weeks ago and ask what I was going to plant next to him this year. I asked why. He said he was thinking of planting dicamba beans next to me this year (south of me). Told him I didn't think it would be a good idea. Several years ago, this neighbor's spray damaged my neighboring non-dicamba soybean crops 2 years in a row with post-spraying dicamba, 2nd time it drifted over 1/4 mile. The damage was obvious, the source was obvious though like pulling teeth to get anyone to admit it. I should have reported it but didn't, to be neighborly and since we've been friends our whole lives. It got to where I had to plant dicamba beans defensively, then had trouble getting the post-spray done and ended up with major waterhemp problems.

Both of us hire our spraying done, his custom sprayer didn't seem too concerned about the wind speed nor direction. Mine was more careful, but it made it difficult to get everything sprayed before the cut-off date.

Have gotten to where I don't even like it in burndown -- enough drifted that it killed all my peach, apple & persimmon trees; apricot trees were no longer producing fruit; noticed it makes the cottonwood trees defoliate, but they put on more new leaves later; it kills the flowers on my hickory nut trees; and I have to delay planting a garden until after burndown spraying.

Unless there's a really bad weed problem that only dicamba will solve, there are other workable choices.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)