AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calf that can't suckle?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 2/11/2024 08:56 (#10618476 - in reply to #10618461)
Subject: RE: Calf that can't suckle?

East of Broken Bow
Mitchco - 2/11/2024 08:48

Ever have a calf that can't seem to learn how? So I have had a calf in my kitchen for a week now. Cow and calf seemed fine day 1 and 2. On day 3 hand milked the cow and tube fed the calf. Day 4 the vet came looked him over. By then he was weak, but not dehydrated. My vet says there's no way to live 3 days without getting something to eat. He's been through a week of antibiotics and kept inside for warmth.

He's now 10 days old and cannot eat from a bottle. He gets fed 3 times a day with an oral drench syringe. If you put the bottle in his mouth he tries to push it out with his tounge. The same goes for fingers. He enjoys being fed with the syringe and if you stop or go to slow he will buck hard. He was chasing me around the yard last night trying to get between my legs and chew on me. It's like his tounge is working backwards but everything else is normal. Any ideas on has to get him to eat on his own?

Mitchco

Had two like that in my lifetime. One got over it by the time it was a month old, the other died before he was a month old.

I guess you could say in my expert opinion based on 2 experiences 20+ years ago, you'll have your answer by the time the calf is a month old.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)