AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ear Corn in Roller Mill
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jnsf
Posted 2/8/2024 19:17 (#10614936 - in reply to #10614174)
Subject: RE: Ear Corn in Roller Mill

NW IA
I have never dealt with whole ear corn before, I just use cereal and small grains, so take my information for what it’s worth, these are just rules of thumb I have been told.

Check on what is the best pitch of the grooves in the rolls (I’m guessing with larger particles, ear corn, you’re going to want a more coarse roll, to get it to feed. Next the style of the teeth cut in the rolls, (I think Round Bottom V (RBV) is common for grinding shelled cereal crops),there are several options. Lastly the front and rear rolls should be operating the same speed or very close (in a cracking/flaking application the front and rear rolls should run at the same speed, in a grinding application there tends to be a speed differential between the front and rear rolls to do more of a shearing action). In this case with cobs I would operated the roll speeds the same because running the cobs thru will likely eat belts because the cobs (or any foreign object) will force the rolls to run the same speed causing the belts to jump or squeal, if there is a differential.

I’m also used to running the rolls tight, such as, a 1/4” between rolls is considered wide open, normal
operation gap is around 0.03”. I don’t know what your roll gap would be in this situation.

Like I mentioned before I’m used to grains, so maybe my information my not apply to this application. I look forward to reading others experiences.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)