AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyway to run a RGL 600 smartbar with a trimle 500?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/31/2024 15:37 (#10602416 - in reply to #10602292)
Subject: I would think so, my experiences with a Raven Lightbar

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I used one in a 4720 sprayer. The spray control was run with an Ag Leader. I installed a Raven Light bar in the sprayer also. Both units got GPS from the same receiver. The GPS I used happened to be a WAAS only Raven Phoenix 200. Its cable was for a dual arrangement so one branch went to the Lightbar and the other branch to the Ag Leader. I would think that your GPS could work with the Raven Lightbar with the proper cable.

Although my Lightbar and Ag Leader worked independently from each other, their information complemented each other.

This was without any auto steer so the Lightbar helped me pull in on the correct set rows. I used the SED (seed) setting where the system does a ReCal when I pushed the advance button prior to each end. This compensated for planter and GPS drift.

Our soybeans and corn are both planted in 30" rows, My sprayer was 90' wide. I would set the Raven Lightbar with a swath width of 90' and the SED pattern. I would then pick out a straight set of rows and start spraying. I would set the "A" point at the beginning of that pass and the "B" point toward the end.

For subsequent passes, I would push the button to advance to the next pass in the direction I planned on turning a bit prior to shutting off the spray and making the turn. With the pattern type set to SED, the system did a swath Recalibration from that location and advanced to a parallel point and line 90' left or right. I then made the turn and started pulling back in on the next set of rows. The countdown distance indicator on the Lightbar gave me an indication of how I was doing as far as pulling in on the proper set of rows. Since there was a bit of delay, I would "lead" the countdown mentally a bit. With a bit of practice on the amount to lead the information I got good at pulling in on the desired set of rows. By using the SED pattern which forced a Recalibration on each end, the inevitable GPS and planter drift were minimized.

Once I felt I was on the correct set of rows, I steered by visually watching the rows. The coverage map on the Ag Leader and the "lights" on the Lightbar confirmed that I was indeed on the correct rows. I would not steer by the Lightbar but only used it for confirmation and an aid to turning around.

I used this arrangement for several years and was happy with that aspect. I couldn't keep the 4720 off the rows (no fault of the Lightbar or Ag Leader) and finally just traded it off on a new tractor. I then went with a 3 point sprayer but that tractor had auto pilot so I used it to get me on the rows but then steered manually across the field.

Edited by tedbear 2/1/2024 07:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)