AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Head count discrepancy at packer with hogs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

snocrzy
Posted 1/25/2024 09:44 (#10592565)
Subject: Head count discrepancy at packer with hogs

SE IA
Short story: Packer count is 13hd short of what we sent on the truck. Trucker didn't stick around for scale tickets as weather was crappy and he was ready to head for home. This was probably our fatal mistake as we didn't catch the discrepancy until I got the kill sheets 3days later. Packer says any discrepancy needs immediate attention. They claim they checked tatoo records on loads prior and after ours and all numbers agree. When it's all said and done and look at the price paid per hog, it looks like I was shorted about $2,000 on this load when comparing to similar loads and market prices.

Somewhere in the process there was a breakdown. All hogs get tattooed off the truck, so I'm not sure why the missing head can't be found. I guess I've got two reasons for posting this. One, advice for others to make sure any potential mistakes are caught immediately. Two, does anyone have suggestions for further resolution? I'm contemplating filing a small claims case, but it's really a my word vs theirs and doubt I'd win. My only hope in that case would be they wouldn't show up.

I'm sure some may suggest our count at the barn was off. I had marked prior to loading and trucker said load was full and no extra marked hogs in the barn, so my count matched with the trucker. Find it hard to believe we'd both be off by 13hd.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)