AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Saving oat seed.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

SamT
Posted 1/23/2024 10:07 (#10589253)
Subject: Saving oat seed.

Texas
3 years ago I bought certified tamo 606. The first and second crop I planted them they grazed good in the fall, but cold weather burnt them down and they didn’t grow again until a more traditional oat time of year in February. I got good grazing, but the jointed early march and were so short I sucked a lot of dirt and rocks combining them. Made about a bale an acre of hay behind the combine and only 10bu. Wheat in bordering farms made about 15bu so not too far off for the year.

This year they made good fall grazing, but are outpacing the wheat for growth even after a week of teens and a couple single digit mornings. I did put more fertilizer down this year to try and compensate for the height. 200# at plant and 150 topdress in November. It’s been wet, but they look like a different animal.

So is it the difference in years or are the oats adapting to what I do with them? If they are adapting I’m tempted to plant them on a graze out farm next year instead of wheat. But i would hate to see them get hit hard and have to pull steers.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)