AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Liver Abscesses In Dairy Crosses - Your Personal Experience?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Curious
Posted 1/22/2024 08:10 (#10587295)
Subject: Liver Abscesses In Dairy Crosses - Your Personal Experience?

NW IA
That thread was interesting.

I've been feeding Angus X Holstein for at least a decade and Holsteins before that. We have always selected an extremely fatty AXH heifer if one was ready to go, steers from the 100% Holsteins.

We send about three a year to the butcher as freezer beef for ourselves and others every year and have kept almost all of the livers since most folks don't want them.

Our critters have always been on stuffers- WSC and pellets with corn stalk bedding. Zero roughage (other than the bedding they eat) until around 5 years ago when we started offering free-choice round bales of soybean stubble through the guard rail fence in the hope that it would lessen the occurrence of chronic bloat; (only a rare occurrence but frustrating, not sure the bean stubble made a difference).

We have never had the butcher discard a bad liver to my knowledge, have you?

Figuring about 50 animals over the past 15+ years with the numbers from the Drovers article at 29 and 68% that would be a lot of discarded livers and I don't remember one. Maybe a nasty question, but would a bad liver be trimmed and kept?

Could the animals evaluated in the study that the Drovers article sited have been fed on slats and on a true "no roughage" ration?

This guy went in last week.

Edited by Curious 1/22/2024 08:13

(IMG_20240116_123203892_HDR (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20240116_123203892_HDR (full).jpg (226KB - 60 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)