AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

another excel ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/18/2024 10:37 (#10580650 - in reply to #10579083)
Subject: Spreadsheet approach to multiple copies

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
My suggestion is to bring up the old spreadsheet and do a "Save As" with it. Give it a meaningful name, include the word Copy and maybe the year. That way you will have two copies and later be reminded of what it is. Then start working with the spreadsheet. If you have problems you can always reload the original or the copy and try again.

An approach that comes to mind is to go in and "lock" or "protect" those items you want to remain such as Headings etc. Then when you do a clear contents those cells should be protected and you would be prevented from losing them. Once you get the spreadsheet cleaned up with just the Headings etc. but no data, you might do a "Save As" again and give it some type of meaningful name such as Base Farm Spreadsheet. This would be a template for the future. Next year you could just open it up and add the new data and do another "Save As" for that year.

I make spreadsheets for my grain sales. I made a base grain spreadsheet that includes the various headings, formulas etc. When I sell grain, I open up the base grain spreadsheet and fill in the quantities, price etc. When finished I do as "Save as" with a meaningful name. This saves me the time of creating a spreadsheet from scratch every time and they are all laid out the same.

When I get the Settlement sheet from the elevator, I can easily compare it to my spreadsheet. I've only found an error or two but feel the exercise is worth the effort.

Edited by tedbear 1/18/2024 10:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)