AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any hope for this external HDD
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/13/2024 10:02 (#10571466)
Subject: Any hope for this external HDD

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have been using a Seagate Free Agent external HDD with my DISH satellite TV system for several years. It was a regular HDD and I had used it with a PC and a then current version of Windows. When I installed it on the DISH system, the DISH system reformatted it and it worked fine for extra storage of recorded programs. It was nice to be able to watch some of the older recorded programs from the past.

Last week I tried moving some newer items from the internal HDD in the DISH receiver to the external drive. A screen indicted that it was going to take some 14 hours to complete so I just let it go at it. It never did get completed and it no longer works at all with the DISH system. The in use LED cycles ON/OFF in a rhythmic pattern.

This morning I moved it back to my office PC. I plugged it into a wall outlet and plugged in the USB micro cable to a USB port. The computer made the usual beep but the drive never appeared. I was hoping that it would indicate that a reformat would be necessary and it would then work with the PC again.

I see no indication that the PC recognizes the drive and I don't get any type of error message or other indication that it is plugged in except for the initial beep.

Any ideas or is it time for a new one? I picked up a SanDisk 3 TB SSD USB drive a while back for a newer computer. It really seems nice and it was just plug and play.

I wonder if one of those would be a good choice to replace the one that apparently has failed with the DISH system.

Edited by tedbear 1/13/2024 10:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)