AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Linux Mint Cinnamon
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

JRosenberger
Posted 12/21/2023 18:34 (#10535260)
Subject: Linux Mint Cinnamon

Milford, IL
Wanted to share with agtalkers that I decided to give Linux Mint Cinnamon a try. For this experiment I bought a used Toshiba Satellite L675 for $37 and a new Crucial 500GB solid state hard drive for $30. Used our desktop PC running Win7 to create a bootable USB and was pleasantly surprised at the simplicity of the Linux setup process. Software for (almost) everything I do with a PC is readily available - even printer drivers were simple enough. One Brother brand printer was plug and play, Linux figured that out without my input and another kinda oddball printer had drivers available from the 'repository', which is a collection of Linux software.

So far, I think this will be a great fit. Web browsing, youtube video, work just like before and now I don't have to fight Microsoft for control of my computer (I have a strong dislike for Windows 10 and 11). Was already using Libre Office for 'Word' and 'Excel' replacements. Previously I intended on continuing with Windows 7 until the hardware won't go anymore BUT Firefox web browser plans to end support October 2024 and Chrome has already stopped updates for Windows 7.

Lengthy post to say, changing gears from W7/10/11 to Linux Mint is much easier than I had anticipated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)