AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

WIFI EXTENDER ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 12/6/2023 10:28 (#10512534 - in reply to #10507880)
Subject: RE: WIFI EXTENDER ?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I've had mixed results. I purchased one of those cheap Chinese WiFi extenders and was disappointed

Later, I spent more money and purchased one of those "mesh" kits for my home. Here is how it seems to work: The mesh system rebroadcasts to its partners on a separate frequency. The base is connected to my router, the satellites are located throughout the house and communicate with the base wirelessly. They in turn broadcast so that devices can communicate with them and ultimately back to the router.

Mine consists of three devices. I think of one as the base. It sits beside my original router in my office and is plugged into it with an ethernet cable to a vacant port on the router. It gets its power from 110 VAC.

The other two devices are what I think of as satellites. They get power from 110 VAC also. I have one in my dining room which is at the opposite end of my home. I have the other in my basement which is directly below the base unit in my office.

My office computer is plugged into the router with an ethernet cable as in the past. So any internet activity with it is done via what I think of as directly to my original arrangement.

My basement computer, iPhone or iPad communicate wirelessly with either the original office router or indirectly through the mesh system. Generally they work better via the mesh system. This has been an acceptable solution for me to get connectivity throughout my home.

I can pick up the mesh network for a short distance outside my home office. Unfortunately, my shop and general dooryard are out of range. There are other solutions for those situations but I'm satisfied with my current arrangement.

Edited by tedbear 12/6/2023 10:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)