AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tig welder question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

whitney455
Posted 11/20/2023 20:46 (#10490093 - in reply to #10490043)
Subject: RE: Tig welder question

North central Missouri
I would get a machine that will handle the 3/8". Also is that 3/8" aluminum or 3/8" steel? Aluminum will suck up heat a lot faster than steel and hence requires a machine that will crank out a lot more amps. If the machine is rated for 3/8" steel at the max then it's not going to be able to keep up with aluminum over maybe 1/8" thick. As far as making two welds on 1/2" with a machine that is only rated for 1/4", you're not going to have full strength of the weld. No matter how many beads you lay on it they will still only have penetration halfway through in theory. Look.at the duty cycle of the machine and get the highest number duty cycle you can, especially if welding thicker aluminum. As far as a multi process machine, Miller will make one that will handle all three very well. I will say the inverter machines are very nice and don't take up much space in a shop. They're smaller in size but I've spent many days welding for 7 hours at a time on them and they handle it just fine. Be glad to help with any other questions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)