AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pastuerella in calves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jfqc
Posted 11/18/2023 06:44 (#10486570)
Subject: Pastuerella in calves

se montana
So I’ve been fighting drooping, draining ears for over 20 years now, I just doctor way too many calves it seems . Sometimes they are sick, but sometimes they feel great except for the fact that their ear is draining and infected looking. What comes out of the ear is NOT puss, it is a cloudy liquid.

After 2 decades, I finally found a vet that was willing to dive into it and try and figure it out. I sent two ear drum swabs in this week and they were both positive for manhemia haemolytica and pasturella multocida. Negative for somnus, mycoplasma, and moraxelli bovus.

Consequently, they have picked up a cough now for 3 weeks, and can’t seem to shake it. Weather has been just a little too warm for optimal calf conditions.

My question is this? Why don’t my vaccines work anymore? I gave 2 rounds of mlv falls shots-vista once sq and then came back with pyramid 5.

What more could I do from a vaccine standpoint?

Btw, these calves are not in a lot, they are out grazing in a 100 acre pasture with a 50 acre field of corn stalks and loomix. They get pushed into a corall every other day to force them to water up good.

I’m hoping Boyce lacock reads this, I know he’s done a lot of trial and error.

Edited by jfqc 11/18/2023 06:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)