AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NOPE. it's carbon
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Mrs B
Posted 11/5/2023 07:02 (#10469367 - in reply to #10468494)
Subject: RE: NOPE. it's carbon

Highland Center, in Southeast Iowa

Chris - 11/4/2023 11:01

The thing I don't feel it was understood is this isn't a stain.  It's pure carbon.  When you burn a glob of apple juice and sugar in a 375° oven for a time it becomes carbon.

I tried boiling water and salt with dish washing detergent, that made a nice clean black 1/8" thick black blob.  I tried a heavy brush and that removed any surface material that was loose.  Then I tried 100 grit sandpaper with a lot of energy and force, that got rid of a lot of it and the coating on the cookie sheet.

I'm going to leave it set for a bit with soap, water and salt on it.  Then I'm taking it to the shop and hitting it with a ¼" sheet sander.  I will do then entire sheet and make it all nice and shiny ( I hope). 

If I still had some carbon tetrachloride I know it would have removed it.  I don't see spark plug cleaner anymore and the stuff, if it existed today probably wouldn't clean my fingernails.  

I appreciate responses to questions and I know they are well intentioned, America is full of helpful people and many are here.

Not everything I try works either, but I keep on trying.  Thank you.

At some point (I'd think now in the past) you pass the point of logic. Unless it's Grandma's original it-was-a-wedding-gift cookie sheet, pitch that puppy and go buy a new one. Between the cost of the products you've tried and the time invested in the work, a $15 new cookie sheet is cheap. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)