AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Resolving NAFLD
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 7/11/2023 09:24 (#10310944 - in reply to #10310788)
Subject: RE: Resolving NAFLD

Pittsburg, Kansas

That is an interesting comment. What you say about fructose (for anyone else reading this thread) is true.

Used to be in old days if a person had a fatty liver disease they were an alcoholic. Now days many people have fatty liver (even lots of kids) that never touch alcohol. The difference is likely to be the difference in the amount of fructose (table sugar is half fructose, half glucose) consumed today vs a generation or two ago. Sugar and high fructose corn syrup is in about all processed foods. We are label readers now. Surprising how many processed meats (like hot dogs, sausage, etc) have some form of sugar added. We avoid it all we can. Of course when we eat out we sometimes get a little from what we don't know, but at home a miniscule amount compared to what we used to eat. And being diabetic even before we were careful to not have excessive or direct sugar. But when I was a kid, got it every chance I could and was definitely a soda pop drinker all the way up to my diabetic diagnosis. Used to drink about a two liter bottle a day in my 20's. That is a LOT of fructose and a lot of raised insulin because of sipping on it all day long. Leading to insulin resistance and ultimately diabetes type II by the time I was about 30ish. By my extended belly I no doubt had a fatty liver. Fortunately it is reversible unless it goes too far and into to sclerosis. Just have to cut out the stuff that caused it in the first place.

Edited by John Burns 7/11/2023 14:12
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)