AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Steady Steer on older Hagie STS-10
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/2/2023 05:14 (#10253348 - in reply to #10252696)
Subject: Closer

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I was able to get some M5 x 30 mm cap screws to use instead of the M5 x 35 mm screws that came with my kit. The local Home Depot has a nice selection.

These seem to thread in several turns but don’t bottom out in the standoffs. The rings seem to be tight on the spokes and are hopefully centered.

I got the Steady Steer SCM, the motor and wiring moved to the Hagie and it seems to be recognized. The system did report that it needed an update for the SCM (due to V 8.1 on the InCommand display, I believe). It "looked" for the upgrade and I thought it was successful.

The next day, I planned on calibrating the Steady Steer in the Hagie. I got an error message about needing a recovery process. I wasn't certain what that message meant. I found a current version of the SCM firmware online (3.0.0.0) and tried updating with it. I then got an error message stating that this was not compatible with my equipment.

My dealer called Ag Leader and talked with someone who was supposedly knowledgeable about these systems. The Tech asked me what version of firmware was current. I thought that he should know. He said I would need to send it in.

The dealer let me take home a new Steady Steer kit. I temporarily installed it and it seemed to connect. I then brought my Steady Steer components and the loaner back to the store. My salesman connected my SCM to the store InCommand and got the error message I was getting at home with my InCommand. I happened to have the USB stick with me containing the update file and he tried upgrading my SCM via the store InCommand. This appeared to be successful. Communication between the display and the SCM then returned to normal. We were able to "see" the profile for my combine on the SCM.

I returned home with my SCM etc. and reinstalled it in the Hagie and my InCommand 1200. Communication seems fine. Apparently I made some error when attempting the firmware upgrade for the SCM. I do not have a good place to calibrate the Hagie and we needed to spray so we are just using Manual Guidance for the moment.

Normally I've been pleased with Ag Leader Techs and realize the situation they are in since I've been in their shoes. I was very disappointed with this Tech as he had to ask me what version of firmware was current and then just brushed us off with the "you'll have to send it in" reply to get rid of us. I appreciate the fact that my salesman was willing to try some things before we sent the unit in.

I'm confident that the Full Calibration process will be successful when I have the time and space to perform it. I'm quite confident that Steady Steer will follow our planter tractor AB lines. Since there will likely be areas with planter drift, using GPS may not work out so well to stay centered on the rows.

Edited by tedbear 6/7/2023 08:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)