AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What varmint is digging and eating the kernels?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WIJDW
Posted 5/31/2023 07:28 (#10250484 - in reply to #10250351)
Subject: RE: What varmint is digging and eating the kernels?

When you have the dug funnel down to the seed like in OP's picture, it's almost always rodents of some type that have dug down.
About turkeys, which I literally can have tons of in my back fields, they have little to no sense of smell, so don't think they can smell planted seed or do the damage some try to put on them in that way. Yes, they scratch around on the surface and might pull a few emerged plants, but don't think they dig down for planted seed. This time of year, bugs and insects might be their preferred food, but not sure on that.
I'm often chasing turkeys and their poults when post spraying both corn and beans, but see little to no damage from them. Now in the fall, getting beans combined before winter hits is key as a bean field not combined in December could potentially have hundreds of hungry turkeys in it if back in more sheltered timber areas. Some are starting to notice increasing Eagle numbers are starting to change the comfort level of turkeys out in the open fields, especially nearer river systems or eagle nest sites. Last couple years I've seen a couple obvious turkey kill sights out in the middle of harvested timber fields I'd have a hard time imagining what other than an ariel attack could have pulled off.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)