AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Questions about crop liens
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Scout Finch
Posted 5/25/2023 18:56 (#10243474 - in reply to #10242349)
Subject: RE: Questions about crop liens

Thanks for all of the very honest responses and clarifying questions. That’s all I was looking for. I wasn’t expecting a magic bullet solution.

I had worked with a lawyer to file the crop lien, the tenant disputed the legitimacy of the lien, a district court judge ruled that the tenant did owe the rent and encouraged a negotiation for settlement, my attorney tried to initiate negotiations which didn’t go anywhere. Then Covid hit and the world changed.

I guess I would fit the definition of an absentee landlord since I am not a farmer and live several hours from the land and tenant. Initially the tenant did pay rent. After several years of rent payments and without warning, the tenant stopped paying rent, did not answer or return my calls, so the crop lien was filed to cover subsequent years the tenant farmed the land. The crop lien is still in effect, but is being bypassed as stated previously.

I am considering whether to actively pursue this with an attorney that has a specialty in this area, or just keep refiling the crop lien and watching “karma” take its course. As one friend has frequently reminded me, there is always justice-it’s just a matter of whether it’s wrought by God or man.

Does anyone have recommendations for the type of attorney or a specific law practice that could be successful in getting a resolution to this matter? Would probably need to be a big city practice in Minnesota.

Thanks for any additional suggestions. I will go back and read the previous posts again to see if there were other questions I can answer.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)